Apply to Avenues Mastery Year
We’re looking for a select group of bold, creative thinkers and doers to create a community where each individual can speak their mind, contribute their talents, and take charge of their learning. You will need to be:
- Self-driven, persistent, and curious
- Courageous, a problem-solver, creative, and a team-player
- Responsible and sensitive to others
- Patient, adaptive, mature, good-willed, and comfortable with uncertainty
You will also need to have a reliable internet connection at home. For 2020-21 we are accepting applications from students aged 17 and above. Admissions is selective and spots are limited.
Synchronous sessions of seminars and invention project workshops will take place Monday to Thursday for two hours in the morning or afternoon Eastern Time. Fridays will be reserved for office hours, independent project work, and special events.
How much does it cost?
The $38,000 tuition fee includes:
- Required invention project materials, books, and an original invention budget*
- Weekly seminars with world-class faculty and a maximum of 10 students
- Live invention workshops with the Master of Making and Design
- Feedback, mentoring, and coaching from inventors, entrepreneurs, and environmentalists
- Monthly guest lectures and master classes
- Patent attorney support and patent application fee
- Access to Avenues campuses in New York City, Silicon Valley, São Paulo, and Shenzhen**
- ** All projects can be completed with common household equipment. Equipment for doing alternate or advanced versions of the project will not be included.
- ** Contingent upon existing health regulations in light of COVID-19.
Avenues Mastery Year seeks to build a diverse and talented community. As the Avenues mission states, we aim to be, “humble about [our] gifts and generous of spirit.” The primary responsibility for the program fee rests with the family, and each family is expected to utilize its own resources. Avenues recognizes the uniqueness of each situation and tailors need-based aid to meet the demonstrated needs of each qualified family.
Rolling admissions: July 1–August 16, 2020
Program begins: September 09, 2020
Applications are reviewed in the order they are received and decisions are released on a weekly basis, typically 1–2 weeks after the application is complete.
Ready to Apply?
If you think you have what it takes to join us in the Avenues Mastery Year, complete the steps below. Ages 17 and above are eligible to apply.
Complete the Application Below
Complete the application form, optionally upload your video, and click the Submit Application button. You will receive an auto-notification by email to confirm that we received your submission.
If your submission meets the admission requirements, we will arrange an interview lasting about one hour.
If your first submission doesn’t meet the admission requirements, you can resubmit your application one time based on our feedback.
Additional Supporting Materials
The final step is for you to submit any additional materials that you would like to provide in support of your application.
You will be notified of your admission status within a week of the interview.